If you are packing yourself, you’ll need to get organised, get boxes, tape, packing paper, bubble wrap. Be prepared, look around your house and make a judgement of how many boxes you think you are going to need for each room. At Avondale we sell a whole range of packaging supplies, to cater for any job, small or large.
Here are just a few tips, even if you just take away one, every little helps ….
- Book or reserve your storage space, however at Avondale we are very flexible, and you can just turn up during our opening hours and move in. But for peace of mind, its best to book ahead.
- Book removers, man and a van, or rental vehicle and most important family and friends.
- When you start have 3 piles “Keep”,” “Donate,” and “Rubbish”, but always bear in mind that your rubbish maybe someone else’s treasure.
- Golden rule: make sure the heavier the item, the smaller the box. Save the larger boxes for things that are lighter and more cumbersome on their own. It will save your back!
- Write on each of the boxes a brief description of the contents and where the items came from. This I’ve found personally useful when trying to find something specific.
- Number the boxes and write an inventory of the contents.
- Colour coding boxes to rooms with stickers or post it notes can be a great help.
- Make sure you pack from the same room contents into the same box, don’t put your kettle in with your wellies, just because there is space in the top, you’ll be thankful when you need a cup of tea!
- Give yourself plenty of time to pack your kitchen, this can be one of the most time consuming.
- Before unplugging your tv, computer or games console, take some photos with your phone, you’ll be thankful when you are trying to put them back together later, especially if your goods are going to be in storage for a while.